The Strategic Management Society is pleased to announce our 6th annual Doctoral Workshop to be held Saturday, October 10, preceding the Strategic Management Society Conference in Washington, D.C. The Doctoral Workshop will be held at the Renaissance Washington D.C Hotel, site of the SMS Conference.
We are also excited to announce that up to 25 scholarships will be funded through the generous support of the Society for the Advancement of Management Studies (suppliers of the Journal of Management Studies). These awards will be offered through competitive entry of students accepted for the Doctoral Workshop. The scholarships will cover costs of the Doctoral Workshop, with all meals including a Saturday evening reception and dinner, as well as a waiver of the SMS Conference Registration Fee.
The workshop will be led by Joseph Mahoney (University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign), and Pierre Dussauge (HEC-Paris). Names of additional faculty members taking part in the workshop will be made available in future correspondences as well as in announcements on the SMS website.
The Doctoral Workshop is intended for doctoral students at the early stage of their dissertation research. The Workshop will be highly interactive and includes panels on the future of competitive strategy and corporate strategy, practical sessions on developing dissertation proposals and launching academic careers, and a meet-the-editors session.
Nominees must have completed the initial comprehensive examination and coursework (or equivalent) of their doctoral program; preference will be given to those just commencing the formal work on their doctoral topic. Acceptance of a paper at the main Strategic Management Society conference is not required, but attendance at that conference is expected.
Application materials should include:
- Nomination/recommendation letter from a faculty member (with contact information)
- A one-page summary of the applicant’s career to date
- A 300-word description of the applicant’s research interests
Other things being equal, preference will be given to nominees
- who are current members of the SMS
- who have their nomination letter from a current member of the SMS
* Only one (1) nominee per school will be accepted to the Doctoral Workshop; schools should only nominate one (1) student. While self nominations are accepted, we encourage each institution to pre-select a candidate and nominate that individual.
All application materials should be submitted to dc.strategicmanagement.net by June 5, 2009.
Doctoral Workshop Timeline
- June 5, 2009
- Submission Deadline for Applications
- Oct 10, 2009
- Doctoral Workshop
- Oct 11-14, 2009
- SMS 29th Annual International Conference
To see the complete version of the Doctoral Workshop Call for Nominations, please download the provided PDF.